Bush's RV Travel Journal

Bush's RV Travel Journal

Monday, June 11, 2012

CLAM DIGGING

Diamond M Ranch (where we're employed at) took us plus other campers clam digging. Here in Alaska you need a fishing license, which Dan has, but I'm going there just to watch!!! Boy am I glad for that BECAUSE it's a DIRTY job!!! As many of my friends know... I don't even like getting my hands dirty!!!





This is a picture where I'm standing down by the water looking up to the shoreline when it's high tide. Those white specks by the cliff are the vehicles where the shoreline will be in a few hours. Dan said the distance is about 1/2 mile. The mud in between is heavy and very hard to walk through!





                      As far as you can see are clam diggers...hundreds of them!!




                                This guy looks like he's been doing it for awhile




Okay time to start digging and digging!!!! First you have to look for small bubble holes in this mud....clams are blowing out air...then you start digging parallel with the ocean. WHY? Because thats how they're facing! There's alot to this!!! Most of the time you're digging in this heavy mud at least a foot deep




You can see this is a DIRTY task. Deeper Dan deeper!!




                                                                  FINALLY!!!




This is WORK!!!



                                                   Enough pictures of the clamming.
                                        As I was scanning the shore I spotted these eagles.
                          I tried getting closer but they were watching me. 
                                                        They were probably thinking
                                    " Who's that Hot Mexican Chick on the beach?"





Next blog should be Dan's experience on a fishing charter!!! Hopefully there will be fish!!

No comments:

Post a Comment